What to Do While Waiting for Water Damage Restoration in Sacramento
If you have been keeping up with our blogs at J.P. Gallagher Construction, you would know that water damage restoration is a very serious job that should be handled by professionals, especially when mold is involved. However, during your water damage emergency, it is best you do not just stand there and do nothing. There are a few things you can do in order to prevent further damage which will not only be beneficial for you but will also make things a lot more efficient for us when we arrive and perform water damage restoration in Sacramento. Here are a few things you can do while waiting:
- Disconnect the power and unplug electronics: First and foremost, move all electrical items out of the way and turn off all the power that leads to the affected areas, especially if water rises above the electrical outlets. Water and electricity are a lethal combination.
- Move your furniture and protect it: Pull up your carpets and under padding if you have any. It is possible to save your carpets if you get them cleaned and disinfected immediately. However, it might shrink and eventually be used as a rug afterwards. Under padding on the other hand acts like a sponge and absorbs water, so it might be difficult to save it. If you have enough time before the professionals come for water damage restoration in Sacramento, you can place aluminum foil or plastic bags underneath and around the legs of your heavy furniture if it cannot be moved.
- Get rid of water: There are many ways you can remove standing water. You can use buckets, towels and mops to soak up as much water as possible. As long as you have sewers around, you can pour the water down the drain or you can even pour out the water onto your lawn. Be cautious with areas that have electricity; you do not want to plug in anything or touch those areas. However, if you are unsure, leave it and wait for the professionals.
- Store important documents in the freezer: Valuable documents such as passports, birth certificates, among other papers that have been affected during the incident can be stored in your freezer until the technicians arrive and work on them to prevent further damage. Use a plastic bag for your before storing them in the freezer so they do not get wet.
- Keep doors and windows shut: If you open a door or a window, you can wind up letting in more moisture than letting it out. It is best to keep them shut until our team arrives to assess the situation.
If water damage strikes your property, it is best to act quickly. Turn off all the sources of water, take a few pictures of the damaged areas if you have the time, and contact J.P. Gallagher. Our team will come to your rescue and provide expert water damage restoration. We are ready to help you with our certified restoration technicians that are available and ready to get your life back on track. Also, if in the case that you require fire damage restoration in Sacramento, we are also capable of such a service.