Common Questions Regarding Water Damage Restoration
No matter what the cause or the extent of the damage is, in order to prevent any future problem, mitigation should be handled by a licensed professional for your water damage restoration in Sacramento. If you are the owner of a property that has undergone water damage loss, you probably have tons of questions on your mind.
If you are a property owner, we have gathered information regarding water damage restoration which may help answer some of your questions:
- What are the effects of water damage on my property?Direct water contact will cause drywall to sag and disintegrate. Wood will start to swell, buckle, warp, and rot; paint will bubble or peel; carpets become saturated causing delamination which will need to be removed; electrical items and outlets may lead to short circuits or malfunctioning which can create a fire or shock hazard. If the water comes from a contaminated source, it can be
a serious health threat. The water or moisture will promote the growth of mold, mildew, and other contaminants.
- Can water damage be prevented?There is not much you can do to prevent water damage that is due to natural disasters, but most water damage experiences are caused by indoor plumbing failures. By having regular maintenance and frequent inspections of your home and property, you may be able to prevent some water damages due to faulty plumbing. It is best that everyone knows how and where to shut off the water to the home in case of an emergency. Check to see if the appliances are and in good working order. You also want to check all the water connections and hoses. It is important to monitor your water bills and be aware if there is any unexplained increase because this may indicate a leak or break in your pipes.
- How safe is my house after the standing water is gone?Water damage is not only about removing the water, but once the water has disappeared or has been extracted there is still potential for issues until the structure and materials have been thoroughly dried out. Mold can easily become a problem. As long as proper extraction and sanitation are done, your house will be safe.
- Can I clean up and dry out the damage myself?If water has saturated the flooring, baseboards or drywall it could appear dry and damage free. What you cannot see is what is going on behind the wall or under the flooring which can quickly become a problem. The walls and floor cavities become the perfect place for molds and mildew to grow. Common shops or household owners are not equipped to remove enough moisture or deliver enough air movement to prevent further damage. If you are not sure of the proper procedures and do not have the right equipment and tools, it is best to let professionals handle your water damage restoration in Sacramento.
- How long does it take to dry the property?This usually depends on the extent of the damage, saturation, and how long the property has been exposed to water. It usually takes 2 to 3 days to dry an average home, but if the property has been exposed for a longer period of time, it can take 5 to 7 days.
- Do I have to leave my home during the home restoration?If the damage does not require extensive reconstruction, remaining in your home may be an option. However, the equipment that is used during the process can be noisy and create air movement which may make the environment not very suitable for living. If the bathrooms or kitchen are parts of the damaged area or if you have children, it is best to check your insurance company for possible living expenses until the restoration is finished.
If you are in need of water damage restoration in Sacramento, it is best to hire professional service as soon as possible. At JP Gallagher, our team is composed of qualified and experienced professionals who can do the restoration needed in order to get your property back to its best condition. We are a very dedicated team and will do everything to help you get back to your lives as soon as possible. Call us now at 916-846-0623.